This is the same model that John Mayer has used on his latest album and it really is something special!
Named after Paul’s mentor, Ted McCarty, the McCarty 594 pays homage to vintage “Golden Era” instruments while incorporating modern build techniques for an instrument that is at once incredibly familiar and effortlessly playable.
There are several details that PRS has incorporated into the 594’s design that contribute to the guitar’s tone and feel, including:
- A 24.594” scale length, just slightly longer than 24.5” and where the model gets its name
- “58/15 LT” pickups. LT meaning low turns, which give this guitar a sweet lower-output tone
- 2 volume and 2 push/pull tone controls positioned so players can roll off both volume knobs at the same time, and with the added versatility of coil splits for more tonal options
- A new Pattern Vintage neck carve. This neck carve shares the same width measurements as PRS’s Pattern neck, but is slightly thicker front to back and features an asymmetrical carve with a little less meat on the treble side, a little more on the bass side of the neck.
- Tweaked Phase III tuners that have an added set screw to pull the tuner’s shaft, gear, and worm together, but with the tuner button taken out of play, to promote tone transfer from the string directly into the guitar itself with as little energy as possible being detracted.
“The 594 is the best new guitar I've played in years. It has a vintage heart and soul but without the technical limitations that usually come along with an old instrument. What good is an old guitar if you can't get all that feel out of the upper frets, or the intonation is off? To hear that old PAF sound but be able to articulate the notes in a way that only modern manufacturing could allow is so exciting. This one's going all over my new record, because it sits so nicely between all of the sonic identities we all know and love. And it plays like a dream.” – John Mayer
- Top Wood: Curly Maple
- Back Wood: Lightweight African Ribbon Mahogany Back
- Scale Length: 24.594"
- Neck Wood: Figured Mahogany
- Neck Shape: Pattern Vintage
- Fretboard Wood: Madagascar Rosewood w/ Curly Maple Binding
- Inlays: Mother of Pearl Birds w/ Paua Outlines, Madagascar Rosewood Headstock Veneer w/ Curly Maple Binding and Mother of Pearl Private Stock Eagle w/ Paua Outlines
- Treble Pickup: 58/15 LT
- Bass Pickup: 58/15 LT
- Controls: Two Volume and Two Push-Pull Tone Controls w/ 3-Way Toggle
- Bridge: Aluminium bronze PRS 2-Piece Stoptail Bridge
- Tuners: Tweaked Phase III Locking Tuning Pegs w/ Ebony Buttons
- Nut: Bone
- Finish: Aquamarine Smoked Burst High Gloss Nitro Finish
- Case: Private Stock Leather Hardshell Case